Friday, April 13, 2018 | 9:30AM – 4:00PM | Great Hall, Hart House, 7 Hart House Circle
Praxis II is a Year 1 course that allows Engineering Science students to refine and apply their engineering, design, and communication skills. The students are given a single challenge:
Effect a verified and validated improvement in the lived experience of a community with directly accessible representation in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA).
Focusing on the GTA allows students to gain first-hand experience with the issues confronting the City and to engage one-on-one with stakeholders, including City and community representatives.
In the first phase of the course, the class scours the GTA looking for communities with which to engage. In collaboration with their community they define an engineering opportunity and produce a Request for Proposal (RFP). In 2017, of the 50 RFPs that were developed, eight were selected to proceed to the second phase of Praxis II:
- Finding Lost Arrows at the Seton Park Outdoor Archery Range
- Kohai Educational Centre Kitchen Experience
- Accessible Feedback System for the Tangled Art Gallery
- Adaptive Seat for Disabled Sailing
- Improving the Wheelchair Experience by Dementia Patients at Kensington Gardens Nursing Home
- Stimulating Residents with Dementia at the St. George Care Community
- Improving the Process of Preparing Fabric Orders at G&S Dye
- Designing a Remote Electroencephalogram (EEG) Headset for Diagnosing Infant Epilepsy
CHECK BACK IN SPRING 2018 FOR THIS YEAR’S LIST.
In the second phase, four to eight teams compete to design engineering solutions for each RFP. This phase of the course culminates in the public Praxis II Showcase. During the Showcase, students share their refined understanding of their opportunity and their proposed engineering designs with a wide audience through posters, prototypes and presentations.
Past attendees include City Councillors, representatives from newspapers, radio, and television, as well as project stakeholders and materials suppliers.
Communications & Media Relations Strategist
Faculty of Applied Science & Engineering