The Engineering Science Research Opportunities Program - U of T (ESROP - U of T) is a unique opportunity for Engineering Science students who are enthusiastic about research.
The program provides support for Year 1 and 2 EngSci students to conduct research with U of T faculty members and researchers during summers early in their academic careers. Through ESROP - U of T, EngSci students join established research groups, gain a deeper understanding of the research process, and take part in intellectually stimulating research activities.
This program is student-driven, i.e., students are responsible for finding a faculty member or other affiliated researcher who is able to provide a suitable research project and supervision.
In addition to ESROP - U of T, EngSci students are also eligible for other sources of summer research funding. Please see the Summer Research Overview page for more details.
ESROP - U of T details:
- Eligibility: Open to all EngSci students completing the first or second year of the Engineering Science program
- Supervision: teaching faculty at the University of Toronto, affiliated research labs, or other Canadian research institutions
- ESROP value: $3,500, plus an equal or greater salary contribution from the research supervisor required
- Application procedure: Applications open in late January and close in late February
- Selection criteria: Strength of the research proposal and academic achievement
Successful applicants must provide a two-page written report to the Division of Engineering Science at the end of the summer summarizing their research experience.